Fire breaks out on Burgess St.
BY ETHAN REDDISH
A house fire broke out Friday afternoon on Burgess Street, with Bainbridge Public Safety being called to the scene. Aid was provided by Decatur County Fire and Rescue, while Georgia Power was contacted to shut off power to the scene. The resident was not present at the time.
While the exact cause is not currently known, it is currently suspected to be an electrical fire, as both a TV and heater were present in the corner the fire started from.
“We’re not sure if it was an electric arc or a heater burning down,” Assistant Fire Chief Ryan Deen said in an interview. “There’s no way to determine the original source, the room was so burned.”
It took roughly 15-20 minutes for firefighters to extinguish the blaze, and an hour or more in total to investigate and clean up.
“There was smoke and heat damage in the rest of the house, but the bedroom was completely destroyed,” Deen said. The homeowner has since been notified.